Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Constipated after irregular bowel movements, pain in lower back and legs. Is taking movicol enough?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
Hey, Im 20 year old male. I have been constipated for the last 5 days, and before that I have had very irregular bowel movements. I have pain in my back passage as well shooting down both of my legs, lower back, and across my shoulder blades. I have taken some Movicol that was left from when I was diagnosed with constipation earlier in the year. How long should I wait before seeing a GP? Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Constipation associated with rectal pain shooting down to legs and back might be due to
1)The presence of vascular deformities like hemorrhoids, rectal prolapse or inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn’s disease.
2) Proctalgia fugax: It is episodic anal pain that occurs due to contraction of the anal muscles. Treatment involves warm sitz baths and over the counter pain killers like ibuprofen.
3)Levator ani syndrome: Levator ani is group of muscles that surrounds and supports the anus. Spasms of these muscles are believed to cause rectal pain.
Some suggestions for you:
1.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms. You should drink plenty of water, avoid soda and alcohol which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.
2.Eating smaller meals may lessen the incidence of pain.
3.Low fat and high carbohydrate meals such as pasta, rice, and whole grain breads may help.
If your condition does not improve with these minor lifestyle changes in next 3-4 days then consider to get a per rectal examination and investigations like colonoscopy, nerve conduction velocity and ultrasound done to confirm the diagnosis. kindly visit your primary physician and if required he might refer you to a surgeon.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor