Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Constantly loosing weight and extremely weak. Pain in bones. SGPT and SGOT are beyond normal range. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
My Father is 61. He's consistently losing weight over the last 2 years so much so that he's down from 72 to 57 Kgs. He's becoming extremely weak and now he is suffering from pain in the bones and twice in the last 9 months he's collapsed and we've had to take him to hospital. Despite all the tests the reason of his illness is not coming out. please advise. He fainted a couple of days back also and hurt his head. right now he's having fever also on and off every day. In the reports the blood counts are fine, glycosylated hemoglobin is also fine. KFT report is fine. In the liver report SGPT and SGOT is beyond normal range. Abdomen Ultrasound report is fine. urine report is also fine
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
some more work up needed

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
Your father has is having significant weight loss and that too without a plan for it.
Such a weight loss indicates serious underlying pathology which should be traced as soon as possible because malignancy is a frequent culprit.
Other possibility is serious endocrinology disorder like Addison disease, hyperthyroidism or diabetes etc.
Sometimes there can be malabsorption syndromes in the background of such findings.
Your father should get evaluated by a physician of your locality because physical examination gives vital inputs in such difficult cases.
Please get his Thyroid and lipid profiles, serum cortisol levels, stool examination, alfafeto-protein and CEA levels to start with.
A contrast CT thorax and abdomen is also worthwhile.
Please load the reports in compressed PDF format in the follow up query.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor