Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

129 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Constant itching and burning feeling under rib cage. How to get relief?

Answered by
Dr. Srikanth Reddy


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2770 Questions

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: i have constant icthing and burning feeling under my left rib cage will this ever go away had it checked out about 2 years ago they found nothing it still continues to ictch and burn
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic to post your query.
A unilateral pain along you rib cage margin lasting for 2 years is suggestive of neuralgia-which is a pain along the distribution of a specific nerve root. This is a type of chronic pain which cannot be diagnosed by any specific investigation. The fact that nothing was found by dermatologist in the local examination of the area suggests that the dermatological causes are less likely.
The question needs a few clarification:
1) Did you ever suffer any vesicular eruptions in the area of the skin that you are describing in the past?
2) Does your pain increase or decrease by movement such as bending or stretching?
3) Is it tender or painful to touch (hypersensitive)?
4) Is there any specific clothing that you wear which irritates the skin in the said area?
Such pains have respond well to some anti-convulsants such as carbamazepine. Amitriptyline, primarily an antidepressant is also useful in such pains.
Another drug which is useful in such pains in pregabaline or gabapentin.
Even though these drugs are psychotropics, such drugs act well on such unexplainable pain symptoms.
If such therapy is not useful then in that case biofeedback therapy and relaxation techniques can also be useful.An experienced psychiatrist can help you with that.
You need to consult a anesthetist or psychiatrist or neurologist who has special expertise in pain medicine.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you a good health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Relaxation techniques

doctor1 MD

I'm having recurring sharp pains in my head. Seems to be behind right eye and radiates to top of head. Pain is fleeting, but head feels strange after. Should I be concerned. First pain hit at around 3:30 this afternoon. Have had four in the past...

doctor1 MD

I had a cycle scan of my abdomen and pelvis without oral contrast , but both before and after the uneventful administration of intravenous contrast utilizing a split bolus technique in the nephrogenic and excetory phase of contrast enhancement. ...

doctor1 MD

My scalp has been sensitive to the touch for 2 months. No rash , sores or headaches . Had 35 ECT sessions a few years ago. Could sensitive scalp be related to any brain problem? XXXXXXX

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing worse sinus allergy symptoms than usual for past 2 days. Unable to sleep last night due to feelings of intense anxiety (unusual for me). Shortness of breath all day today with very sharp pain under left shoulder blade, not relieved by change of position or by relaxation exercises. It hurts very much to take a breath so I keep having to yawn as chest is tight (hurts a lot to yawn!). My job is physically active but walking is tiring today.

doctor1 MD

have sevre anxiety, i cannot drive a car, i am on disability due to my emotional irreluulations and mild agoraphobia, my anxiety has recently started taking control of my body to the point where i have to lay on the ground and wait for all my muscles to sieze spasms, ive had 2 heartattack at the age of 18. and i feel like these are all sympotms of a bigger problem, i need help before its to late.

doctor1 MD

I'm a 54 year old female who has been under a lot of stress. Recently I have been noticing weird things. I start reading articles in the middle or the end. Last night while reading a book I started reading sentences backwards. What could this possible be a sign of?

doctor1 MD

I have a son in his forties who has always had a "short fuse". He can go from OK to suddenly swearing, acting irrational and spiteful. He has tried drugs for depression over the years - to no avail. We are desperate as it is tearing his family apart. Please help