Constant itching and burning feeling under rib cage. How to get relief?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: i have constant icthing and burning feeling under my left rib cage will this ever go away had it checked out about 2 years ago they found nothing it still continues to ictch and burn
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for using health care magic to post your query.
A unilateral pain along you rib cage margin lasting for 2 years is suggestive of neuralgia-which is a pain along the distribution of a specific nerve root. This is a type of chronic pain which cannot be diagnosed by any specific investigation. The fact that nothing was found by dermatologist in the local examination of the area suggests that the dermatological causes are less likely.
The question needs a few clarification:
1) Did you ever suffer any vesicular eruptions in the area of the skin that you are describing in the past?
2) Does your pain increase or decrease by movement such as bending or stretching?
3) Is it tender or painful to touch (hypersensitive)?
4) Is there any specific clothing that you wear which irritates the skin in the said area?
Such pains have respond well to some anti-convulsants such as carbamazepine. Amitriptyline, primarily an antidepressant is also useful in such pains.
Another drug which is useful in such pains in pregabaline or gabapentin.
Even though these drugs are psychotropics, such drugs act well on such unexplainable pain symptoms.
If such therapy is not useful then in that case biofeedback therapy and relaxation techniques can also be useful.An experienced psychiatrist can help you with that.
You need to consult a anesthetist or psychiatrist or neurologist who has special expertise in pain medicine.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you a good health!