Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Congestion, stuffy nose, coughing, muscle pain. Flu or bronchitis? Have diabetes, neuropathy and sarcoidosis.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
congestion, stuffy nose, coughing spasms for last week. flu or bronchitis?my wife & i have been having a lot of coughing spasms with stuffy noses and phlegm is clear & sometimes yellowish. she has much muscle pain & was on antibiotics prior to getting ill. it all began when we had a cold spell one night & no heat, which we won't have until the end of November, with assistance. she is disabled with diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, & sarcoidosis.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Congestion, stuffy nose and coughing spasms are the features of Acute Sinusitis and the muscle pain is due to the ongoing infection.

As mentioned above the symptoms you have mentioned are the typical features of Acute Sinusitis, initially the sinusitis will be viral in origin associated with or without fever and severe body ache.

Cough following nasal congestion is because of the post nasal drip. Please do not worry, it is a treatable condition and you need to follow few simple instructions to get rid of it. Moreover your wife is diabetic; hence the infection has to be treated with much more care with close monitoring of her blood sugar levels.

I would suggest both of you to drink plenty of warm water (this helps in reducing the congestion and easy clearance of the mucus secretions), instillation of saline nasal drops followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times/day, take a mucolytic (such as bromhexine or ambroxyl), antibiotic (such as a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) after consulting physician and avoid coffee as it worsens the congestion and thickens the mucus.

If this does not improve in a few days time it is better to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor