Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Confused about pregnancy. Pregnews showed variable result. What does the test mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 816 Questions
Hello doctor,

I am little confused about my pregnancy as my last month menstrual date was 8th august and today is 11th sep. i have missed my period. I have taken test with preganews in morning. It showed one line dark and other was light in colour which appeared after 3 to 4 min. Before marriage my periods were irregular and after marriage i.e. from past 4 months it was regular. What does the test mean?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 30 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Two points are in favour of pregnancy-
1. You have missed your period,
2. Pregnancy test is positive.
But in normal pregnancy, three days after missing period; test should be strongly positive.
To be weakly positive is a matter of worry; because it increases the possibility of extra uterine pregnancy means abnormal one.
So get your repeat urine pregnancy test & trans vaginal scan done under guidance of your doctor. A serum beta hCG level can also help in confirming the pregnancy.
I will be available for your follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Confused about pregnancy. Pregnews showed variable result. What does the test mean? 16 hours later
After how many days i should go for test in laboratory and what all test should i take.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 23 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
You can repeat your urine pregnancy test right now. If you still have a doubtful result; get your blood beta-HCG test done.
If blood beta-HCG test remains is within satisfactory range according to gestational age, get your ultrasound scan done after one week; otherwise it would be urgent to know whether pregnancy is intrauterine or extra-uterine means urgent ultrasound would be done.
I will also advise you to consult your gynaecologist for local examination.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor