Condom broke while having sex. Did not ejaculated inside. Took ipill. What are the chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Condom broke while having sex. But I did not ejaculate in her. She took ipill immediately. Her periods are due next week. What are the chances of she getting pregnant . Please help. Is there any thing else we should do to be 100% sure.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: PREGNANCY VERY LESS LIKELY, NOTHING ELSE NEEDED Detailed Answer: HelloXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. When taken within 24 hours, the I pill is more than 95 % effective in preventing a pregnancy. Plus you did not ejaculate inside her. Also, if she has regular cycles, then you had sex on day 21 ( assuming a 28 day cycle ), when ovulation is less likely. All said and done, the chances of her being pregnant are less than 5 %. There is nothing else you can do, other than wait it out, and in case she misses her period due next week, take a pregnancy test. Rest assured, chances of pregnancy are very less. Take care. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.. It's reassuring I was doing some research and it says the period will be delayed due to I pill. We had sex twice the first time was alright but still she insisted on taking I pill Just to be on the safer side. And the second time the condom broke so had to take anyways. The question being is it safe to take I pill on a regular basis. Also will her period be delayed if yes by how many days approximately. I know I am asking too many questions but I am just freaking out sorry. Also I hope the question remains as anonymous.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. You are not asking too many questions. Please do not stress out - I am glad to answer any queries you might. Do not freak out too, the portal is absolutely anonymous, and your identity is unknown to me . The I pill can do both - prepone or postpone her period , generally by a week, sometimes, more, maybe maximum upto 10 days. Also, it is NOT safe to take I pill on a regular basis. It is less effective than regular contraceptive measures , and will greatly affect her normal menstrual cycle. If her period is delayed, take a pregnancy test anyways. As such, chances of pregnancy are very low. All the best. ANd yes, feel free to contact me anytime using the following direct link - WWW.WWWW.WW I would be happy to provide assistance anytime.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thank you. Its the most logical thing. Will be more careful with ipill. Can you suggest some other birth control pills which can be taken on regular basis. Logically everything should be alright. Hopefully will be able to explain my girl friend. I should havebeen more careful with condom. Anyways thankyou very much
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again. Yes, you are absolutely right . Do not use the I pill indiscriminately. She can easily take birth control pills , which nowadays are quite safe, with minimal side effects and there are lots of options to choose from. She can start with Femilon . It has to be started from day 2 or day 3 of her menstrual cycle. Alongwith that, condoms can be used to have double protection , particularly in the first month of pill use. All the best.