Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Concussion, nausea, fatigue, loose fragment on the bridge of nose. CT scan shows soft tissue trauma. Can an ENT fix the broken nose?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12746 Questions
My 12 year old son was hit directly in the forehead by a wooden swing 3 weeks ago. He had immediate swelling and we was sent for a Head CT that was negative for anything but soft tissue trauma. He presented with many symptoms of a concussion (nausea, fatigue, slow processing, decreased appetite, headache). All has resolved. Now he has a small loose fragment at the bridge of his nose. It is slightly sore to touch. Does this need to be seen by ENT and possibly removed? Was it not seen on the Head CT because of all the swelling?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

The small loose fragment on the bridge of his nose might be a fragment of fractured nasal bone.
It needs to be examined by an ENT specialist for diagnosis and reduction of the dislocated piece of bone to its proper place so that the shape of his nasal bridge is maintained after healing.

At the time of head CT, may be it was a hairline fracture which sometimes go unnoticed. Now the displacement of the bony fragment has brought it to the attention.

I suggest you to get an appointment from your ENT surgeon to know the extent of the displacement. Earlier the diagnosis, better will be the treatment.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor