Concerned for recurring periods and milky white secretion from breast

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I am 31 years and I have clear/white secretion from my breast. I also had pinkish/white spotting a week ago; then my period came this week but it is a week early (bc I wasnt supposed to get my period until XXXXXXX 4th). My last period was dec. 4th-7th, which is short for me, but i got another period again yesterday for the 2nd time this month..
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply : 1) Milky white secretion from breast occurs due to a high level hormone called prolactin 2) Hence I advice you to get a blood test called serum prolactin. This test needs to be done any day in the morning in fasting state without eating or drinking . 3) If the prolactin level is high, it can be treated with medicines. 4) cycle vaiation for 2 or 3 months is natural in some women due to stress and other events in life. If it persists can be corrected with a course of oral contraceptive pills for 3months. 5) Even high prolactin can cause this. Hence I advice you to get serum prolactin at the earliest.

I hope I answered your query. Regards, Do let me know if you have more concerns.
Mahesh Koregol.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Thanks for answering my question. What about my period coming twice in one month? You did not answer that portion of my question. Also, is a high level of prolactin harmful to my health and what caused it?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 13 minutes later
I did answer both parts of question.
1) Variation in your menstrual cycle could be due to mere stress in professional or personal life. Hence check if stress is affecting you.
2) Serum prolactin or thyroid hormone alterations also cause such variation in cycle.
3) Since it has happened twice in one month, it could also be natural. Hence no need to get worried. If it repeats, you can take the pills i mentioned above.
4) Since cycle variation could also be due to high serum prolactin which is linked to secretion of white milky secretion from breast, I suggest you get the test done before considering other options.
5) It also advisable to get serum TSH to be tested along with serum prolactin to check if Thyroid hormone is causing cycle variation.
6) High prolactin level has to be detected as it is harmful for health.
Please get back to me with above blood tests.
Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli