Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Complete hysterectomy done. Got an abnormal pap smear result. Looking for suggestion

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I had a complete hysterectomy 4 years ago and I got an abnormal Pap smear result today. Going back to doctor in the morning and going to check under microscope. I'm just so upset and afraid.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, first of all, a complete hysterectomy means excision of uterus, cervix, bilateral tube and ovary. Now, in your case, most probably Pap smear has been done from vaginal vault. It detects the abnormal cells exfoliated from the surface epithelium.

Now, abnormal Pap smear is of many types like LSIL, HSIL, ASCUS, ASC-H, and squamous carcinoma. In case of abnormal Pap smear, grading should be done like I have mentioned. And then, the condition is managed according to the category.

You should not get upset. Because, an abnormal Pap does not always indicate carcinoma. So, wait for the doctor’s opinion regarding this. And hope for the best.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Complete hysterectomy done. Got an abnormal pap smear result. Looking for suggestion 15 minutes later
I did have a pet scan 6 months ago and all was clear. Could an infection or something else cause an abnormal reading.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, in case of human papilloma virus infection, an abnormal pap smear may be found. Even in some acute bacterial infection, reactive atypia may be found which is difficult to differentiate from squamous cell carcinoma.

So, wait for your doctor's opinion regarding pap smear.

Hope you have your answers.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor