Complete hemogram shows erythrocyte sedimentation rate as 30 mm/hr. Should I be worried?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my complete hemogram shows

erythrocyte sedimentation rate as 30 mm/hr. Is it worrisome ?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The ESR is the abbreviated name of Erythrocyte Segmentation Rate.
This is a blood test which is done by two techniques and the ranges vary accordingly, one is Wintrobe's and the other is Westergreen's method.
The readings vary in normal persons, it is more in females and elderly, anemia, chronic diseases.
It indicates a background inflammation. It can be read in first hour and second hour bury the first hour reading is more popular and useful.
Your reading is within normal range but is falling on the upper end of the spectrum for females.
If you have some other symptoms please let me know so that we can fine tune the further investigations and plan.
I hope the answer would be informative and useful for you.