Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Complaining of tail bone pain. Noticed pus coming out. What to do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
hi my daughter has been complaining since Monday this week that her tailbone has been hurting. on Tuesday she toom a bath and noticed puss has been coming out. Since she started to take the bath's its getting better..she doesn't need advil anymore and she can sleep on her back. Today her butt cheeks star
started to hurt.

Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 34 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
From your description, I think your daughter may have a pilonidal abscess. This is not serious. A pilonidal abscess is the result of an infected pilonidal sinus. This is a small hole that develops in the cleft between the buttocks. Multiple holes can join and become a tunnel or sinus. If these become infected they will produce pus and cause pain and redness in the area.
I would suggest she visits her doctor for assessment. A pilonodal abscess can be diagnosed on visual examination. Treatment usually involves a small operation to remove the infected sinus. In the meantime, I suggest she keeps the area clean and dry.
I hope this has been helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor