Combined oral contraceptive pill, postinor. Chances for pregnancy?
I recently had sex with my partner, the condom slipped off and (not knowing this) I ejaculated inside her. She is currently taking the COCP. She is certain that she didn't miss any pills, however, we were paranoid (both medical students) at the possibility of pregnancy so she decided to take postinor (single dose). She took it within 12 hrs of the episode. She was most likely in the fertile period of her cycle. My questions are as follows:
1. assuming she hadn't missed taking any of her COCPs, was taking postinor "just to be safe" a good decision?
2. does being in the fertile period reduce the efficacy of emergency contraception? (i understand the drug company claims it prevents implantation, however, I have read data which suggest a lack of efficacy in the post-ovulatory fertile period)
3. risk of pregnancy?
4. would you advise a pregnancy test and if so when?
thankyou in advance
Thanks for the query.
As she was already taking OCP's (Oral contraceptive pills) and she has not missed the dose of these pills, there is no chance of pregnancy and there was no need to take the emergency contraception.
Since, she has taken, so there is no need to worry.
Fertile period doesn't reduce its efficacy.
Her next period can be irregular, heavy or normal. She can have delayed periods.
You can do pregnancy test to be extra sure, if she miss her period. Test can be done 4-5 days after the missed period.
I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Side effect of Combined oral contraceptive pill
- Usage of Combined oral contraceptive pill
- Usages of combined oral contraceptives
- Oral contraceptives prevent pregnancy by
- Will missing a oral contraceptive pill lead to pregnancy
- Combined oral contraceptive pill postinor chances for pregnancy
- Chances of pregnancy if there is a missed contraceptive pill
- Pregnancy during taking oral contraceptive pills
- Oral contraception and pregnancy
- Are emergency contraceptives safer than oral contraceptive pills