Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

129 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Colonoscopy done. Blood and worms in stool with abdominal pain. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5770 Questions
I have abdomen problem from past 2 year , I have gone through colonoscopy for that .
I feel Irritation in rectum when passing stools some times and bleeding along with it. Also I feel pain in left upper part of abdomen. Apart from that Previously i have been treated with dose for intestinal parasites about 1 year ago. But recently I was feeling some movement - irritation in anus. So i started observing stools , and i found out withe translucent tread kind of (must be) worms. I read on internet that some worms called hook worms can be lethal as they penetrate intestine and heart. I am Worried please help.
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 51 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Hookworms does not give anus itching. Usually it appears with low hemoglobin level as this worms live in duodenum.
The parasites which gives such symptoms are pinworms and can be visible outside the anus or in the stool.
Anus irritation and bleeding can be also caused by hemorrhoids (which are sometimes invisible in colonoscopy).
No matter what parasite do cause your symptoms, you should have your stool tested for parasites. You should not be worried as most of digestive tract parasites are treatable.
If the pinworms infection will be confirmed, you should know that every person living with you should be treated for it as well. Moreover, this worms can be present in bedding, blankets which should be laundered in a high temperature.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist