Owl Image

Colonoscopy done. Blood and worms in stool with abdominal pain. Worrisome

General Surgeon
Question
I have abdomen problem from past 2 year , I have gone through colonoscopy for that .
I feel Irritation in rectum when passing stools some times and bleeding along with it. Also I feel pain in left upper part of abdomen. Apart from that Previously i have been treated with dose for intestinal parasites about 1 year ago. But recently I was feeling some movement - irritation in anus. So i started observing stools , and i found out withe translucent tread kind of (must be) worms. I read on internet that some worms called hook worms can be lethal as they penetrate intestine and heart. I am Worried please help.
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 51 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Hookworms does not give anus itching. Usually it appears with low hemoglobin level as this worms live in duodenum.
The parasites which gives such symptoms are pinworms and can be visible outside the anus or in the stool.
Anus irritation and bleeding can be also caused by hemorrhoids (which are sometimes invisible in colonoscopy).
No matter what parasite do cause your symptoms, you should have your stool tested for parasites. You should not be worried as most of digestive tract parasites are treatable.
If the pinworms infection will be confirmed, you should know that every person living with you should be treated for it as well. Moreover, this worms can be present in bedding, blankets which should be laundered in a high temperature.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.