Colon surgery done. Why do I feel like pooping?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello. My sister who is a healthy 73 year old underwent colon cancer surgery 2 weeks ago. The surgery was successful in removing the cancer which was determined to be contained and had not spread to her lymph nodes. Sunday, 10/30/12, she had a setback just she was to be relesed to go home. On Sunday evening about 4pm, she stated she felt what she described as a ballon popping in her stomach. The doctors determined that she has a ruptured colon at the site of the colon surgical repair.A bowel movement was present in the colon at the time of the rupture. So, feces is likely present in her abdomen. They did not advise emergency surgeryand instead want to have her go to a convalescent facility and be treated with antibiotics for 2 months. I feel that emergency surgery should have been performed to remove the feces from her abdomen so as to avoid septicemia from developing and poisoning her body. I would hate for my sister to survive post-op blood poisoning because feces was allowed to remain and cause septicemia. I would like your opinion on this serious health matter. i feel that time may be running out if emergency surgery is necessary. XXXXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query

I can understand the concern you have for your sister

If there is any collection inside it will lead to lot of symptoms like abdominal pain, guarding, rigidity etc

Her vital data will not be normal

Also you may go for a complete blood count and an abdominal ultrasound to confirm the intraadbdominal status

If there is any collection on ultrasound and/or the counts are raised, it should alarm the operating surgeon

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of any concern
Wishing your sister a speedy recovery

Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later
So what should be done? Convalescent care or surgery for this situation?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

You should go for an abdominal ultrasound, if that is normal conservative treatment

It that has some collection inside, Decide accordingly

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing your sister a healthy life ahead