Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
167 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Colon cancer survivor, headache, muscle pain, fatigue post sex, menopause, female hormone deficiency

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13738 Questions

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sexual Problems
Question: I am a Stage 3a colon cancer survivor over 2 years out of treatment (chemo and radiation). For the past ten months I have become ill each month. Symptoms are headache/"cotton head", bone pain, muscle pain (neck and glutes), extreme fatigue, lack of appetite. I have no actual temperature but I get very strong chills and then it breaks in sweating eventually. My chest feels pressure and my glands feel swollen. It generally lasts for 24-48 hours and then I am fine, but the downtime is severe and uncomfortable. Episodes are brought about (not necessarily at the same time each month...sometimes they have been two months apart) by sex, jacuzzi, hot yoga or using a vaginal dilator (I have shortening of the canal as well as thickening from menopause...I am 54...and radiation therapy). Both my primary care doctor and my gynecologist have provided nitrofurantoin (sp) to take prophylactically but that doesn't help. It feels worse than my blood count is devastated. Any ideas as to how to proceed? Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

The episodes of headache, bone and muscle pain,fatigue or lack of appetite experienced after sex or jacuzzi indicate that you are having deficiency of female hormones due to menopause and the bioidentical hormones that you are taking are not sufficient specially when there is a higher demand by the body.

You can try having a regular hormone replacement or increase the doses of bioidentical hormones you are taking during these episodes. This might help you.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Menopause

doctor1 MD

hello, I have been taking this pill for about 6 months now as a solution to heavy, irregular periods associated with perimenopause. Lately I have...

doctor1 MD

I am 52 yrs old and goin thru menopause, got my periods after 3 months heavy bleeding since 2 days, for the last 2 yrs periods come once in 5...

doctor1 MD

I am a 52 yr old female and as yet am not in the menopause but I have been having my period for 2 weeks now. In this time I have light days but on...

doctor1 MD

I think I m going through peri-menopause and want to check symptoms. I have psoriasis so I thought the little red bumps on my skin were due to...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 59 years old, still having vaginal bleeding and have had severe pain in my right breast for over a week. I don't have insurance so the...

doctor1 MD

I am 59, female, what can i do for vaginal dryness and odor?

doctor1 MD

I have recurring yeast infection. How do I know it's a yeast infection? I feel a need to go to the bathroom frequently. Sometime it burns. No...