question-icon

Cold,loss of sensation to smell and taste

Posted on Sun, 27 May 2012
Question: i lost my sensation to smell and taste.I am not able to taste or small any thing.I am unable to enjoy food ,I am suffering from mild cold.Please suggest good remedy to get out of this.
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar (2 minutes later)
even my mother has same problem of cold , she lost sensation to smell and taste.please suggest good remedy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (48 minutes later)

Thanks for the query

Loss of smell (anosmia) and taste (ageusia) is common during an attack of cold and flu and it is usually temporary. This is because of the inflammation of the nerve endings in the nose and the tongue and also because of the change in the biochemical process. It is indeed a matter of concern, if this problem is a long standing one. Chronic nasal conditions like allergic nasal problems can give rise to permanent anosmia.

Regarding your present condition, if this cold and the associated symptoms are of a recent onset, then it could be due to a viral infection, which is usually self–limiting. You need to drink plenty of warm water (to keep yourself hydrated) and do steam inhalation 2-3 times/day (it helps in mucus clearance and opening of the sinuses). Also, try taking oral decongestants if there is watery discharge from the nose, use Saline nasal drops (this helps in keeping the nasal mucosa moist), Paracetamol if there is fever associated with this. Some evidence says that an addition of Zinc supplements helps in faster recovery.

Do not worry, this is just a temporary problem, the same advice will hold good for your mother also. Consume plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid coffee and chilled food for few days.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist