Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Cold, throat pain, pain around eyes and cheeks, may be due to sinus infection. Can you suggest medicine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
I have cold and throat pain for 2 days. Now i have pain around the eyes and checks. I think its because of sinus infection. Can u suggest me medicine for this problem?
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later

Thanks for the query

Going by the description mentioned by you, it seems to be you are suffering from acute sinusitis.

Following are the home remedies and the medicines commonly used for the treatment of sinusitis:

1. Drink plenty of warm water - helps in reducing the consistency of the secretions and opening up of the blocked sinuses and the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).
2. Do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this works in the same way as mentioned above.
3. Avoid cold beverages and coffee for few days - this prevents the mucus secretions from becoming more viscid.

Medicines such as:

1. Saline nasal spray - to be used 3-4 times/day, to help in clearing of the nasal and sinus secretions.
2. A mucolytic - Bromhexine or Ambroxol to thin down the sinus and nasal secretions.
3. A pain reliever - such as Diclofenac or Ibuprofen can be used.
4. Finally, if the symptoms do not improve, you can try with antibiotics such as a combination of Amoxycillin & Clavulanic acid or Cefuroxime.

I am sorry, during the online consultation there are certain limitations wherein we are not supposed to mention the dosage and duration of the medicines, as it requires a complete examination and prescription by the doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor