Cold, cough, dizziness and headache. Is this normal?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Just a quick question, ive had the comon cold with now a nasty cough but the last 72 hours ive been feelings dizzy an head ache ive taking pain relief but no help, is this normals
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Headache and dizziness with common cold and nasty cough do not seem normal to me. Either the nasty cough is causing the headache or the infection is spreading to brain or meninges.

Thus it is important that you see a doctor as soon as possible and at least get examined. He will be able to do some maneuvers to figure if it is spreading to the brain.

If you have sputum production, then get a sputum culture done. After that, you may be started on antibiotics and other medicines to control cough and other symptoms.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 days later
Thank you fo reply sorrg mine is so late, the head ache went and then was back last night i could sit in the light or w around noise
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I need some details about your symptoms so that I am able to help you better.

Can you describe your headache in detail? I need to know the severity, location, aggravating and relieving factors, etc. I think you are having headache in the presence of light or noise.

Also let me know if the symptoms of cold are back. If so, try taking tb cetirizine 5 mg before sleeping. If it relieves the congestion and headache, then probably it is due to sinus infection, etc.

Another thing that I need to know is the medicines that you have taken in recent past or tests that you have gotten done.

I think that we get it tested with some basic blood tests (to see if the infection is still going on) and x-ray of skull or even CT-scan.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 minutes later
The head aches start in my forhead then go to the bottom of my head / top of spine and in center of head and behind eyes, my cold hasnt come back atall all cleared up, lasttime i was on medication was anti biotica for a water infection and that was nearly 1 year ago, i had bloods done staty of this year for my pcos and i had high progestion level or what ever its called ecause my boobs were leaking but they have stopped now with these head aches paracetomol and ibrupifen doesnt help atal
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like tension headache

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

From your description of headache it seems like tension headache or may be sinusitis. It does need tests as it is not getting better with routine pain-killers. Paracetamol is not very effective for pain. Ibuprofen is better at dealing with it. Naproxen can also be tried but has more side-effects.

High progesterone is not typical of PCOS. Laboratory studies for high progesterone may include a prolactin level, renal function tests and a thyroid-stimulating hormone level.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 23 minutes later
So when i go to my doctors what test sjould i adk ?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I think that we get a hemogram (to see if the infection is still going on) and x-ray of skull or even CT-scan. Also get tested for a prolactin level, renal function tests and a thyroid-stimulating hormone level, if not already tested

We can discuss further when you get your reports. Also let me know if you have another question.

Dr Vaishalee