Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Circular sores on scrotum. Is it a fungal infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 695 Questions
I've got two little circular wounds on my scrotum. I noticed their presence yesterday and I think they've grown slightly bigger ever since last night. They don't bleed, but they're tender and slightly moist. They're right next to each other and each one is about a few millimeters in diameter. They hurt when touched. The skin around each wound is a little darker than the scrotal skin and a dark line/elongated patch extends downwards from one of these wounds. What could this be? Is it a fungal infection? How do I treat it?

I'm of Indian origin and my scrotal sack is dark. As I have mentioned above, the dark patch associated with the wound is slightly darker than the scrotal skin,

I have clobetasol propionate, neomycin sulphate, and miconazole nitrate cream and I applied some a short while ago to see if it works. I can't visit a doctor till day after tomorrow. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Friction lesions,use soframycin cream.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Moist tender area over scrotum suggest probably friction dermatitis.

Wearing tight clothes,frequent bike riding,constant rubbing over scrotal area can lead to such type of dermatitis.

Other possibility is of irritant contact dermatitis if you have applied any antiseptic liquid like dettol or harsh soap can also lead to such condition.

Do not apply clobetasol containing preparations.This is a steroid and can worsen the condition.

I will advise you to go for plane antiboitic cream like soframycin over the affected area.Apply it two to three times.

Use antifungal powder like candid which will give soothing effect.

Use loose cotton clothes.Keep area dry .

Do not use any harsh soap or hot water for cleaning the area.

Avoid bike riding as far as possible.

Try these measures and if you have no relief then consult your doctor.

I hope this will solve your query.In case of any concerns I will be happy to help you.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor