Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Chronic sinusitis,cold,duonase nasal spray,x-ray

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2544 Questions
Hello sir,
I am 30 YRS old and I have chronic sinusitis for past 5 years. I am easily get cached by cold every two months once. I am using duonase nasal spray and deslor tab every day. Recently in my x-ray report study shows that 1 bilateral inferior nasal turbinates hypertrophic 2 bilateral maxillary right frontal sinusitis for clinical correlation. What should I do? Any curable treatment.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 26 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) scan with 1 mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts done on a multislice CT Scan Machine. This is the gold standard imaging in chronic sinusitis. X-rays are only for screening.

2. There is a possibility that you have a mild form of Samter's Triad: Sinusitis/ tendency to asthma, Aspirin Allergy and maybe Nasal polyposis (not seen easily on X-rays). If you do not have any tendency to asthma or polyps, your condition will be easier to treat without recurrence.

3. Continue with your current medication. I would add an anti-leukotriene like montelukast 10 mg once a day. Also add regular saline nasal washes and steam inhalation.

4. A nasal endoscopy will help. Sometimes the infection is fungal and not bacterial.

5. You may share your CT/ X-ray images via YYYY@YYYY wih 'Attn: Dr. Sumit Bhatti' as the subject line or can also upload the images on the right side of the query box. Please do confirm the uploading or mailing of the images by writing here as to reply you back at the earliest.

5. If medical treatment fails, FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery) and Radio-Frequency Ablation of the Inferior Turbinates will help.

6. Aspirin desensitization may be attempted.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor