Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Chronic pain due to pancreatitis, suffered from Grey Turner's sign. What can I expect for the rest of my life concerning my health and comfort?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
I suffered from Grey Turner's sign in December, 2009. I had stones blocking my pancreatic duct/s (?), which led to pancreatitis and then to hemorrhaging of my pancreas. While in I.C.U, my sister noticed bruising on my sides and lower back while helping me into the hospital shower. I was in intensive care for quite awhile and was in excruciating pain. Ten days after being in Intensive Care, they finally placed a feeding tube, which by-passed my stomach and into the small intestine. They then sent me to another hospital where I had a sphincterotomy and a procedure to sweep that area clean (cannot remember the technical term). I have been advised that there are very few who survive this; hence, do not have much information to go on to treat me for the chronic pain that I have. I am currently on vicodin as needed and gabapentin. What can I expect for the rest of my life concerning my health and comfort?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Pain in pancreatitis is often severe and persistent. Since you have already been operated upon, the pain is likely to subside gradually.

Chronic pains are generally hard to treat.

Continued use of pain relieving medications along with alternative therapies such as accupunture may be helpful. You can continue using vicodin on as needed basis. Taking Gabapentin regularly will help in decreasing the pain perception in the long run.

If the pain is still persistent then consulting a pain specialist will be helpful who will grade your pain according to severity and will treat you accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor