Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Chronic back pain with fusion and a pinched nerve. Swollen painless lump near the buttocks. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
I have chronic back pain issues w/ a fusion and pinched nerve. I just experienced an dramatic uptick in pain 2 days ago and noticed a swollen like bump near my butt crack. Its only on one side. It doesn't hurt a lot but doesn't feel 'normal'...what could this be?
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The bump you have noticed at your back without any history of trauma is likely to be a soft tissue swelling. It can be collection of fat cells like lipoma or sebaceous cyst, boil or abscess or a soft tissue tumor.
A direct examination is required to find out the cause of the swelling. The increase in the pain is likely to be due to the pressure due to the lump in the area.
For diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a boil or abscess then application of warm compresses will help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor