Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Chromosomal abnormalities due to an enlarged yolk sac, ultrasound report is normal

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I had an ultrasound scan at 7 weeks pregnant which showed the baby at the proper growth and strong heartbeat but the yolk sac was 7.2mm, I then had a follow up at 8 weeks and the growth was great, heartbeat great but the yolk sac was 9.4mm at just over 11 weeks the baby is measuring exactly where it should be, heartbeat great but I am worried about the risk of chromosonal abnormailities due to an enlarged yolk sac, what is my chances of having a "normal" baby
Posted Thu, 10 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Gestational age in first trimester is usually calculated by crown-rump length. At 11 weeks, it is approximately 41-54mm.

Large yolk sac is usually associated with anomalies and miscarriage. But the single measure can be a misleading factor. So do not worry.

I encourage you to get a few more tests such as nuchal translucency along with blood tests like beta Human Chorionic Gonadotropin levels , pregnancy associated plasma proteins before reaching any conclusion in this regards.

Chorionic villi sampling and genetic counseling is required if needed.

Hope my answer is both informative, useful and assuring. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them.

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Chromosomal abnormalities due to an enlarged yolk sac, ultrasound report is normal 37 hours later
Is there any statistics on record for normal pregnancies and large yolk sac?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 24 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

To my knowledge there is no such record but I have seen one case delivering normally personally.

So just keep your fingers crossed for the best.

I would suggest you to follow your Gynecologist's advise on further investigations, as she is examining you periodically.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor