Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Cholesterol, low BP, bulge in central stomach, blister. Possible hernia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Dear Doctor
I am a male 64 years old, I have had very good health history and no surgery and no hospitalization. its about 4 years I take cholestrol pill after mine was 230, which is 180 now and take blood pressure pills for 3 years after it was 14 /9.
it's couple of years, when I do semi sit ups I will get a bulge in the center of upper stomach from 10cm above navel up to below my rib cage, it seems a small beer can is pushed sideway upward from inside.
It is normal in other times when there is no pressure on my stomach mussels, and there is no pain no other complication.
I am 68inches (173cm) tall and 185lbs (84k) and rather big belly, which I think I am a little over weight.
I have seen all kind of Hernia pictures but nothing similar to what I have and I am not even sure that can be a Hernia.
By the way couple of weeks ago I have noticed a very small blister shape white skin, 1/4 inch in diameter at the bottom of my Navel which under stomach pressure or coughing, bulges out about couple of mm, but still is inside my Navel and when I push I feel something the size of head of a Q tip goes back inside, again no pain or any other abnormality.
I eat a lot of fruit and raw vegetables with my dinner and sometimes my stomach becomes hard and bolted.
I appreciate if you could guess if they are Hernia and what I should do about it. Does a Hernia belt or back support type belt that covers your stomach help?
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

From your description, it does sound like you have a hernia. It's possibly in two places.

There are different kinds of hernia and only an examination can tell what kind you have. You need to be examined by a surgeon to determine the type of hernia.

Hernia occurs due to a gap in the anterior abdominal wall where a certain area may be weak due to stress,surgery etc. Obesity makes your muscles weak also.

I suggest that you see a surgeon to decide upon the management of the hernia.

A support belt may not have any permanent effect of a hernia. Surgery is the usual treatment. You need to avoid putting any stress on your abdomen like sit ups,coughing,lifting heavy weights etc.

Hernia is not an emergency. But if at any time, you feel severe pain, discolouration of the skin etc then go to the emergency room asap.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor