Cholesterol found in blood test. Upper tooth was removed and undergone extensive gum surgery. Having soft food and smoking. Suggest the diet

Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Cholesterol
Question: My 75 yr old husband"s recent blood test indicated cholesterol figures that our doctor thinks requires medication.His normal diet is bad--bacon,sausage,beef,potato chips,etc! ----Early in Aug, he had his upper teeth removed and extensive gum surgery plus a sinus lift and won't have dentures for several more weeks! He has lost 13#s and has been eating soft foods and soups,chicken,pork and fish. He has been doing a LOT of dairy (2+gal milk/wk and ice cream) Doesn't drink,but smokes small cigars,about 12 small/wk. Should he have tests repeated? He's never taken cholesterol meds before! Could you include a simple diet with your answer? THANK YOU
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

As mentioned by you your husband's diet is pretty bad and needs to be changed.

1. Avoid all those junk food and non vegetarian diet.

2. Ask him to go for a walk regularly.

3. Fish is good for health. Continue the same.

4. He will have to reduce the ice creams and excess amount of milk he is consuming. Switch to low fat milk. Avoid fats like butter, cream etc.

5. Good to hear that he does not drink. He should quit smoking altogether.

6. He should have lot of green leafy vegetables, fruits etc. He should increase the consumption of fiber in diet. Oats, barely, beans etc are examples of foods XXXXXXX in fiber.

7. Continue the medication as advised by your doctor.

8. Tests should be repeated at frequent intervals to see the level of cholesterol. Consult your doctor for the same and get frequent check ups.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professoer of Pediatrics