Child with slight temperature. Had flu shot. Given tylenol and motrin

Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 5 year old woke up yesterday with a temp of 101.8 and chills has continued to have an elevated temp and chills all day yestetday and until now. He is very congested and suffers from asthsma. He has also had his flu shot. I am alternating tylenol and motrin and giving plenty of fluids. Should i be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, he needs immediate assessment. Detailed Answer: Hi, Fever with chills suggest either UT I(urinary tract infection), malaria or septicemia. You have to exclude these things by suitable investigations. I am concerned with your child's symptoms since uncontrolled fever in a child under 5 years can cause febrile convulsion. Further congestion and asthma may be triggered by superimposed viral infection. What you are doing is quite alright, but still you need consultation with pediatrician to disprove or confirm the above possibilities and to arrive at a definite diagnosis. Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad