Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Child with pus filled bump on head scalp. Started to spread around neck and forehead. Cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My 6 yr old son has pus filled bump on the center of his head in his scalp, they are starting to spread to the skin ,around the neck and forehead area. I have tried different types of medicated shampoos and also anti bacteria creams/anti infection creams. Now I am putting bump away on them. The bumps or not responding. What could be the cause of this?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The causes of such bumps could be a bacterial or fungal infection of the skin of the scalp. Since you have applied many local ointments with no relief makes me think that it could most probably be tinea capitis a type of fungal infection of scalp which would best respond to oral antifungals.I would recommend that first and foremost you get your son evaluated by a dermatologist for confirming the diagnosis and then appropriate treatment can be initiated.
The treatment would include an anti fungal shampoo( ketoconazole) and oral agents ( fluconazole, terbinafine etc) over a four week course . To avoid superinfection with bacteria or if the lesions are infected ( pus filled) local antibiotic ointments ( mupirocin ) might be helpful . Sometimes an oral antibiotic like amoxicillin might be needed if the lesions are not due to fungal infection but a bacterial skin infection. So the next best step would be to get a confirmed diagnosis by examination and woods lamp/ KOH test. Then the treatment will readily resolve the condition in a couple of weeks.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if you have any further doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor