Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Child with myopic eyesight. This is due to heredity reason. Cure to reduce power?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1977
Answered : 1169 Questions

my son is 4 years 4 months old and he has myopic eyesight with power of -7.00. this is due to hereditary reasons as his mom has a very high mypoic power (-9) and i have mypoic power of -2.5

I and really worried as he is very young and this may/will increase as his eye grows in size. is there a cure available for high myopic power.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
thanks for sending your query to us.
This power has to keep on increasing with age.
The only thing you can do is to take care of nutrition and general health of the child.
Diet in such cases has a negative value,taking care of diet does not mean that the power will not increase but decrease in general condition will aggrevate the situation.
please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child with myopic eyesight. This is due to heredity reason. Cure to reduce power? 11 minutes later
Dear Dr Misra

Is there a correction surgery available anywhere in the world for this. I fear that if the power is -7 at age of 4, by the time he is 8-10 years, he may face partial/temprory blindness.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 38 minutes later
there is corrective surgery available which is to be done after 20 yrs of age and after the power has been stabilized for at least 2 years.
So we wait for a while for things to settle down in the meanwhile take care of the diet and general health of the child.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor