Child with loose motion. Taking econorm and neopeptin. Suggestion?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 2.5 yrs. old baby boy faced 3 loose motion episodes from the month of XXXXXXX to till date. he is on treatment. regularly morning stool is loose. and the 2nd is semi solid. earlier in food i used to gave him oats with boiled XXXXXXX and zerolac of 6 spoon in breakfast at around 8.30am, khichdi with boiled egg at around 12.30-1pm, rice with fish curry at around 4.30pm, horlicks in the evening and roti with pediasure at bedtime around 10pm. but now i only giving him boiled chura with zerolac in breakfast and evening and fish curry and checken stoo with rice alternate day in lunch and dinner. still he is having loose stool in the morning. he was in Diof Ds and Bifilac course of 7 days. now he is on Econorm XXXXXXX and neopeptin please suggest.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 49 minutes later

Thank you for you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the stool routine test and there are pus cells present which is suggestive of infection.

As he is 2.5 years old, you can give the regular family food.

As you are giving horlicks and Pediasure, make sure the proper dilution of these products as some times inappropriate dilution will cause loose stools.

Continue giving probiotic econorm one XXXXXXX twice daily for 3 to 5 days.

Give sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to maintain the hydration of the child.

Monitor his hydration status.

Oral zinc can be given in prescribed dose for 2 weeks to decrease the water content of loose stool at present and to decrease the frequency of further loose motion episodes in the future.

I advise you to give the stool sample for culture and sensitivity to know the cause of infection and if bacteria is grown in the culture, its sensitive antibiotic will be known.

Maintain his hands hygiene by washing his hands frequently after play, toilet, and before eating.

Consult his pediatrician for follow up, to order stool culture, and for the prescription of medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.