Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Child with itchy, rash behind ears, forehead. Pain in lymph node on the back of neck. Need to be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My 7 year old son has developed an itchy, bright red rash behind both ears and into his hairline at the back of his head. There is also some at the hairline at the forehead. He has been complaining of pain in an enlarged lymph node on the back of his neck. (Has been there a long time but has not been painful until now.) Do I need to be concerned?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 19 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The rash may be what we call seborrhoreic dermatitis.
The enlarged lymph node is a result of the rash.
The occipital group of lymph nodes enlarge when there is scalp infection.
You have to show him to a doctor preferably a dermatologist for evaluation and treatment.
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child with itchy, rash behind ears, forehead. Pain in lymph node on the back of neck. Need to be concerned? 12 hours later
Thank you for your help!

My son woke up this morning and the rash is spreading - now it's on his face and neck. It is around both eyes, upper and lower lids. I plan to take him to his regular doctor tomorrow unless there is some reason you think he should be seen before that. It's Sunday today so I don't want to disturb anyone for a non-emergency situation. Do you think I should keep him away from others in case it's contagious?

Thank you again- XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
If it is spreading to other ares like neck,face etc,it may not be seborrhoeic.
It may be some skin allergy .
You can give him some antihistamine syrup like benadryl and take him to the doctor.
If it is not associated with fever,it is unlikely to be contagious.
Good luck
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor