Owl Image

Child with enlarge kidney having fever, vomiting and soft stool. What treatment should be done?

Owl Image
Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Question
My 2 years old boy has had white colour faeces over the last 3 days, a bit of temperature, very soft foam consistency stools and vomited twice. His grandma and aunt are both cealic. My boy was born with an enlarged kidney
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As your son has fever, vomiting and soft stool it is advisable to get his stool routine examination done and treat him as a case of gastroenteritis. You can give him:
1. Paracetamol/acetaminophen 5 ml. 4 hrly to reduce the temperature.
2. Ondansteron 5 ml. three times a day for 1 day to control vomiting.
3. Plenty of oral fluids.
4. Depending on the stool report an antibiotic if diarrhoea perisists.

Once the diarrhoea is controlled then he can be investigated for celiac disease. A work-up for the enlarged kidney should also be done by the following basic investigations:
1. Urine routine examination.
2. Ultrasound of the KUB region.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

RKK

Follow-up: Child with enlarge kidney having fever, vomiting and soft stool. What treatment should be done? 5 minutes later
Thanks, should I be concerned regarding the color of the faeces? We are travelling to Australia from London in 3 days, will it be OK to travel? What can I feed him?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 21 minutes later

Thank you for the queries.

I am not worried about the colour of the stool but am more worried about vomiting and fever. I do not want him to get dehydrated. Hence give him plenty of oral fluids. However, avoid fruits and fruit juices except for banana. In diet you can give him:
1. Rice
2. Potatoes
3. Bread
4. Over-ripe banana
5. Curd, buttermilk, etc.
These are only some of the suggested food items that you can give to your son.

It is very difficult for me to give any advise on the travelling to Australia. Depending on the response in the next 24 hours you can take a decision for your travel. I am hopeful that you shall be able to continue with your planned trip once things are under control in the next couple of hours.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery and bon voyage to the family.

RKK

P.S.: In case you intend closing the query then do provide your feedback.