Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Child with dent on teeth. Is there any treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2059 Questions
My Goddaughter Wilma was born XXXXXXX 2, 2012. My question is about her two teeth, lower central incisors. One looks like it is normally shaped, but the other is bigger and kind of a "dent" in it. Something to worry about? I have a picture and a drawing to show. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 45 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I have gone through the reports attached along with the query. Your grand daughter seems to have a notched deciduous lower incisor. This is a congenital anomaly called dens-invaginatus,which arise as a result of an invagination in the surface of the tooth crown before calcification can occur. It is caused by-
1. Increased localized external pressure.
2. Focal growth retardation.
3. Focal growth stimulation in certain areas of the toothbud.

This condition is fairly common and usually associated with incisors.

In the mild form, there is a XXXXXXX invagination in the lingual pit area,which may not be evident clinically. Sometimes food debris may get packed in this notch resulting in caries and infection of the pulp; occasionally even before the tooth has completely erupted.

Please realize that this condition, partcularly in its mild form is fairly common.

We can be able to assess the severity of the condition through radiological examination.

That being said, since your grand daughter is just 9 months old and the effected teeth are deciduous/milk teeth which is going to shed at the age of 6 years, we need not be concerned. But, please monitor the eruption of other teeth too and if the condition has repeated you can consult a dentist and investigations like x-ray has to be done.

Meanwhile,to prevent caries, pulp infection and premature loss of the tooth, monitor the tooth regularly and watch out for any symptoms of caries. Clean her teeth using moist cotton after every meals to prevent caries. Some doctors believe in using preventive medications. You can discuss with her local doctor.

Hope this helps. I will be happy to help you if you have any other concerns.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child with dent on teeth. Is there any treatment? 26 hours later
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Is it common that the "adult teeth" will have the same problem as the deciduous/milk teeth?
Best Regards,
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 31 minutes later

Thanks for your feedback.

Chances of occurrence of dens-invaginatus are more common in adult/permanent teeth.

If all your doubts are cleared, please close the discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor