Child with choking cough, runny nose and congestion. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: 7.5 month old child with cough, choking with congestion at times and can be productive (e.g. can cough to the point that she spits up phlegm), persistent runny nose, now a lot of eye goop. No fever. Sleeps more than usual. Eats fairly normal.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later

From the symptoms you have mentioned, it looks like your child is having a lower breathing
2. Chest retractions
3. Wheezing sound while breathing
4. Temperature >99 F.
All the above mentioned symptoms are suggestive of pneumonia. Pneumonia can cause serious troubles.

The goop in the eye may be due to conjunctivitis which commonly can be associated with respiratory infections

Considering her age, it would be safe to get a pediatrician examine your child before giving any medicine, since it is difficult to elicit the warning signs and symptoms in such young age. Therefore I recommend a visit to her pediatrician's office.

Till then maintain adequate nutrition and hydration. You may use cetrizine based syrups for runny nose and saline based nasal drops - 2 drops into each nostril 3 to 4 times a day for blocked nose.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad