Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Child with chest pain. Due to cramps?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
my son says his heart hurts..i was thinking it was just growing cramps but he says it feels like someone punches it and it goes thumpety this cramping or should i get it checked out? I'm thinking if it does it spontaneously that they may not know or can they tell by ecg's if something has bothered it?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I would suggest that your son be seen by a paediatrician who can evaluate him completely and prescribe appropriate therapy.
Patients with heart failure generally complain of breathlessness and fatigue and it is unlikely that your son is suffering from this condition. When the heart pumps very forcefully, patients often complain of “punches” that cause headache. The heart forcefully when there is a large amount of blood flowing through some defect in septa or the valves of the heart. If this occurs everytime the heart beats, this state is called a hyperdynamic circulation and is commonly seen in anaemia and patients with septal or valvular lesions.
As such, growing cramps don’t cause heart thrusts.
As I believe that more information helps physicians arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:
1.     How long does it hurt and how often does it hurt?
2.     What is the weight of the kid?
Additionally, the following investigations need to be done
1.     Chest Xray
2.     Electrocardiogram or ECG
If these investigations are abnormal, a colour doppler study of heart may be needed.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor