Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Child with chest congestion. Taking asthalin, ab phyllin and budecort inhaler. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 1126 Questions
My son keeps getting a chest congestion every 3 months and requires nebulization frequently.
Currently he has been asked to take Asthalin nebulization 3 times a day for 3 days. Along with Asthalin (syrup) 3.5 ml thrice a day and AB Phylline 1.5 ml twice a day. For the long term doc has asked him to take Budecort 100 (inhaler) for 3 months to prevent recurrence of congestion at frequent intervals.
I want to know:
1. The side effects of this line of treatment.
2. Are any of the medicines a steroid and
3. Will using the inhaler help?
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later

Nebulization with asthalin is frequently resorted to during chest congestion in children and may help in relieving symptoms. AB phyllin is also used for the same purpose. There are minimal side effects so you need not worry.

2. Asthalin and AB phyllin are not steroids.

3. Regarding Budecort, first i would like to know if his doctor is of the opinion that child has asthma. From your description i feel child does have asthma like symptoms. In that case budecort inhaler will be of help. Budecort is a steroid inhaler and steroids are the main line of treatment in asthma. Since they are in inhaled form, the drug is deposited directly into the airways with minimal side effects. It can be given in nebulized form or as inhaler through a device called spacer. Ensure to rinse his mouth after using budecort.

4. You must ensure that child is not getting exposed to second hand smoke(passive smoking) and smoking in the vicinity of child should be avoided.Secondly i hope he has got over GERD because it can cause a lot of respiratory symptoms. If not consult his paediatrician so that aspect can be taken care of.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor