Child with chest congestion. Taking asthalin, ab phyllin and budecort inhaler. Any suggestion?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My son keeps getting a chest congestion every 3 months and requires nebulization frequently.
Currently he has been asked to take Asthalin nebulization 3 times a day for 3 days. Along with Asthalin (syrup) 3.5 ml thrice a day and AB Phylline 1.5 ml twice a day. For the long term doc has asked him to take Budecort 100 (inhaler) for 3 months to prevent recurrence of congestion at frequent intervals.
I want to know:
1. The side effects of this line of treatment.
2. Are any of the medicines a steroid and
3. Will using the inhaler help?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Nebulization with asthalin is frequently resorted to during chest congestion in children and may help in relieving symptoms. AB phyllin is also used for the same purpose. There are minimal side effects so you need not worry.

2. Asthalin and AB phyllin are not steroids.

3. Regarding Budecort, first i would like to know if his doctor is of the opinion that child has asthma. From your description i feel child does have asthma like symptoms. In that case budecort inhaler will be of help. Budecort is a steroid inhaler and steroids are the main line of treatment in asthma. Since they are in inhaled form, the drug is deposited directly into the airways with minimal side effects. It can be given in nebulized form or as inhaler through a device called spacer. Ensure to rinse his mouth after using budecort.

4. You must ensure that child is not getting exposed to second hand smoke(passive smoking) and smoking in the vicinity of child should be avoided.Secondly i hope he has got over GERD because it can cause a lot of respiratory symptoms. If not consult his paediatrician so that aspect can be taken care of.