Child with atopic dermatitis. Using fucibet. Is this curable? Any alternate treatment?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My daughter XXXXXXX is suffering from Atopic Dermatisis. She is 4 years old and has terrible rashes on her arm folds and all the folds like knees. We also noticed lot of rashes behind her neck. These were initially in the form of mild rashes but over the last year it has not improved and has become worst when now even blood is coming out. The skin looks terribly old as if that part belongs to a 75 year old lady. I am enclosing the photograph of the area in the neck behind.

We have consulted many dermatologist and pediatrician and they have given her cream like Fucibet. I understand that Fucibet is also a form of a Steroid only and on application of the cream there is some recovery but it recurs once we stop it.

She has also been on homeopathy. The doctors keep telling that this would be going soon but it shows no sign of recovery and is only worsening. We have tried putting vaseline and other oils to keep the skin from drying but obviously this has not resulted in any or much improvement

She has a very itchy skin as such and keeps scratching these arm folds which makes it bleed and makes it even worse. We also live in bangalore which has a dry climate which we feel makes things worse as when we are visiting Chennai, which has a humid climate, she is relatively okay.

While I am not sure but when she was less than 1, she had scabies which I am not sure if it can be attributed to her case

Our questions are as follows: i. Is this curable. Can anything be done to reduce this impact. ii. Should we just continue with Fucibet. Is that the best option. GIven that it is a steroid, we are really not sure if we should go ahead with this. iii. Is there any medicine / cream which can reduce the impact of this iv. If not is there any procedure which can help the situation. v. Is this attributable to scabies by any chance
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.

Atopic dermatitis is childhood condition and it will improve as her age increases.
Fucibet is steroid cream and it is most effective for treating atopic dermatitis.
You can use it initially for two weeks and then turn to steroid free alternative.
Steroid free alternatives are Tacroz 0.1 oint and Atopiclair cream .You can use them as maintenance therapy.They can be used for longer time as they are steroid free.You can use them for months together without side effects.

Scabies is a common infection it has nothing to do with the atopic dermatitis.

My advise to you would be -
Apply flutibact cream over neck area .
Apply fucibet cream over the other area for 2 weeks.
After the condition has improved switch to Tacroz oint(0.1) .
For face you can use atopiclair cream over the face and other areas.
Use good quality moisturizer twice daily.Once after bathing and other before going to sleep.It has to followed strictly.
You can use venusia XXXXXXX cream or Atogla cream.

Very good medications like cyclosporin are available now they can be used after consulting dermatologist.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

DrSudarshan
Dermatologist.

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks a lot Dr XXXXXXX for the super quick revert.

We will try what you have prescribed and revert back. Two quick questions:

With regard to the moisturizer we are currently applying liquid paraffin. Should we continue with that or change to something else. As you have advised we will apply it strictly atleast twice a day if not more.

The second question was on the frequency of Flutibact and Fucibet. Would you say that we apply this atleast 3 times a day.

Just to make a point that our past experience has been that once we stop Fucibet, the scratching recur within 3 - 4 days time, resulting in rashes. But as you have advised we will follow this up with Tacroz for about a 3 - 4 weeks (or till the rashes dont become worse) and then see.

Thanks once again.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Fucibet or flutibact cream should be applied twice daily not more.
Use venusia lotion for moisturization ,its better than liquid paraffin .Moisturization is very important part of atopic skin treatment.
While the skin gets better you can slowly taper steroid cream use.Like twice to once a day application then a once a day application on alternate day.followed by once in 3 days and so on.While switching to atopiclair application.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 9 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor XXXXXXX We will do as advised and revert back on results.

Thanks once again for your help and advise
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 25 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.
In future if you need any skin related queries you can directly ask to me with "ASK Dr Sudarshan" caption.