Child was pushed back and forth with moderate speed. Will this cause shaken baby syndrome?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor! It is XXXXXXX again. I don't know if i am over worry or not. I have a question gain. Today, my aunt he is a mother of 5 and a grandma of 6, she came to visit and play with my 7 months old daughter, she put her in sitting position and gentle move my baby back and forth But not too slow. She play with her like that and start to go faster, then i stop her. she said that is fine, she played with her kid like that all the time. my mom said that too. but it scare me. It is now 6 hours pass since that happened. She is acting normal, playful, crawling, siting now. Should I worry about that? Can it cause shaken baby syndrome? What do I have to watch for if she was shaken? How long do I have to watch for symbols ? Thanks a lot!
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

First line of my answer is Do Not Worry!

Shaken baby syndrome needs to be shaken very vigorously and more so when the head hits against any object at that time.

As your baby was sitting at that time and was pushed back and forth with moderate speed ,it is unlikely to have caused any problem.
Symptoms to watch for are irritability or lethargy and vomiting.
You have to watch for 1-2 days.

Hopefully she will be fine!
God bless
Have a nice holiday!