Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Child was out and had sweating. Having cramping in hands and legs. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
My Son has been outside all day today in the hot tempertaures and swetted a lot today. He is at home now and says his hands are shaking and he is cramping in his hands and legs. He has drank gatorade all day but has swetted an awful lot. We dont know what to do for him
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Just monitor him closely....

Detailed Answer:

He seems to have developed heat cramps. Potassium depletion secondary to excessive sweating and dehydration is responsible for the cramping.

"Heat cramps" is usually a temporary condition and unlikely to cause permanent health issues. If he has no more cramps and tremors, you need not be worried. He will be alright. Let him drink gatorade - a few drinks more. Encourage him to consume banana or coconut water (if it is available in your locality).

Some warning symptoms that you need to monitor are:
- Increased body temperature,
- Persisting muscle cramping with weakness,
- Chest pain/palpitation
- Muscle weakness
- Drowsiness/altered consciousness
- Reduced urine output
- Presence of dark colored urine

Should he develop any of the aforemented symptoms, take him to the nearest ER. He will need an EKG and some blood test such as serum electrolytes and creatinine phosphokinase check.

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need clarification.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor