Child waking up during sleep in the night. Is it advisable to feed him during night?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Question: My son gets up almost more than 5 times during night. When feeded(breast feed) he sleeps again, but atleast once I need to give him solid food(eg.., Cerelac) at odd times like 2 or 3am than he sleeps. Is it fine to feed during that time or shall I start giving him any other supplement. I basically have a doubt that he wakes up because he is hungry. I feed him food at 7.30pm and put him to sleep at 9pm by feeding him breastmilk.Please advice
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 hours later
Brief Answer: It looks like a developmental sleep issue. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Kids usually around this age group will wake up during sleep in the night because of some developmental sleep issues such as separation anxiety. This is a normal phenomenon. As the age increase this issues will settle down and they sleep comfortably during nights without any disturbance. There is no problem to feed the child during night with Cerelac, but this is very much discomfort for parents on a daily basis. What I suggest you is to feed the child with Cerelac or home made infant food 3 to 4 times in a day in addition to breast feeding and give breastfeeds before putting the child to sleep in the night and during the wake up time. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Is it the right time to start supplements like lactogen which i can also feed at night?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue to give breast feeds and semisolid feeds Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for getting back. Lactogen is an infant milk formula and it is not equivalent to breast milk in any aspect and breast feeding is the gold standard method of infant feeding. And breast feeding can be continued till the age of 2 years. Therefore I suggest you to give infant semisolid feeds and continue breast feeding as advised. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.