Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Child vomiting after drinking formula milk. What to be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Hello sir, my 10 months old daughter is vomitting now just one hour after drinking 150 ml formula milk. What should I do now?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 9 hours later

Thanks for the query.

You have provided me with good information. However, as I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:

1.How many time has she vomited after drinking milk?
2.Is this associated with fever or diarrhoea?

Your baby has vomited after drinking formula milk after a period of one hour.
A newborn's digestive system isn't fully developed, so sometimes when you feed her and she has not digested the milk, there are chances of vomiting.
1.     I would suggest that you take the following measures:
2.     Hold your baby in a fairly upright position when you feed her. Feeding her while she's slouched (curled up in your arms) doesn't give the formula or breast milk a straight path to her tummy.
3.     Minimize noise and other distractions
4.     Try not to let your baby get too hungry before you start feeding her.
5.     If she's distracted or frantic, she's more likely to swallow air along with her breast milk or formula.
6.     Burp your baby after each feeding and try to keep her in an upright position for half an hour or so. This will allow the feed to pass down. If she's big enough, you can prop her next to you against some pillows .
7.     Keep her hydrated: Give her sips of oral rehydration solution (ORS), such as Dioralyte, a few times an hour, alongside her usual breast milk or full-strength formula, and water. Don't give your baby fruit juices or carbonated drinks.
8.     If your baby hasn't vomited for 12 to 24 hours, you can begin moving back to her usual diet, but keep giving her plenty of fluids. Start with easy-to-digest foods such as cereal or yoghurt.

You will have to visit the doctor if there are :
1.Signs of dehydration or fever.
2.Refusal to breastfeed or drink her formula milk.
3.Sleepiness or severe irritability.
4.A swollen abdomen or signs of abdominal pain.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child vomiting after drinking formula milk. What to be done? 2 days later
On the next day morning she also puked once and then started passing stools. We have given her stool sample for stool routine micro and got the report stating pus cells 10-15, mucus present, Benedict's test positive and also lactose intolerence.
We have visited doctor and doctor prescribed us oflox 100 for 5 days and also asked us to stop formula milk or any lactose base food and advised us to give isomil powder.

After giving medicines for 3 days, vomitting and diahorrea have been stopped but she is still little bit cranky and refuses to drink milk but she drinks water.

Please suggest us regarding this
Answered by Dr. Radhika 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Your daughter is apparently suffering from lactose intolerance which occurs when the small intestine does not make enough of the enzyme Lactase.
Decreasing or removing milk products from the diet usually improves the symptoms.

She can have the following instead of Formula milk.
1. Buttermilk and cheeses (they have less lactose than milk)
2. Fermented milk products, such as yogurt
3. Aged or hard cheeses
4. Lactose-free milk and milk products
5. Lactase-treated cow's milk for older children and adults
6. Soy formulas for infants younger than 2 years
7. Soy or rice milk for toddlers

She can still continue with breast milk, but when feeding her with breast milk it is better for the mother to stop having milk or dairy products which can cause intolerance to the baby. You can also continue with the Isomil powder.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor