Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Child using ear bud. Got injured in ear. Started bleeding. Should I consult ent specialist?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10392 Questions
Hi my kid 3 yrs old was having an ear bud in his ear while playing.maid picked him up w/o reaslising and he got hurt and scremed.blood was coming out . I have coonsulted my local pedicatrician and he says thre is a lot of blood inside and he canot see the ear drum. but he has asked me to watch and see if there is pus/pain post 24 hrs and then start antibiotics as sos. ear drum will self heal if hurt also.i si this ok or shud i get him to a ent

Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that your child has injured his external ear canal. An injury to the ear drum with an ear bud is not likely.
If the active bleeding has stopped and there is not much pain then you can wait for 24 hours to see any change in his symptoms. Most of the times, minor injures do heal spontaneously in 4-5 days. You can put a local antibiotic ear drops like ofloxacin to avoid any infection in the area.
You can consult an ENT specialist for a local examination and cleaning of the ear in case the pain or discharge appears.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor