Child undergoing treatment for typhoid. What cure should be done for fast recovery?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: Our son who is 13 yrs old has been diagnosed with typhoid, he is undergoing treatment since last 3 days, he has his crucial cricket matches starting from the 18th of this month... he is right now on saline dose of anti-biotics.. will he gain back his strength n be able to play by that time..? We are taking care of his diet too... What else can you suggest for a faster recovery? What is the best diet we can give him so that he can regain his energy...?

from,

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

Typhoid is a debilitating illness that causes high fever,intestinal ulcerations, intestinal bleeding,liver function derangement ,gall bladder affection, relapse of illness,etc and usually lasts 3-4 weeks.

Cricket is again a play which involves lot of strenuous activities and is a very competitive sport which drains one's energy.

As a doctor I would rather suggest that you think of his health first and foremost in view of the illness and its known complications.
I am sorry to say that he may not be physically fit in anther 5 days for such a sport.
Some times fever itself takes more than 10-14 days to subside.

Instead of attending the sport in this condition and not achieving what you all want, he can look for the next opportunity!! and do well.

Please do not do anything in haste.
The recovery takes time in typhoid !
Take the missing of the sport in a positive spirit ! We do not know what is God's will!
May be I sound too philosophical???!!!!

God bless
Good luck to the child and the worried parents.!
Dr Uma

Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Thank you doctor.... Just wanted to let you know that he has already been having fever since a few days and since last night there is no fever and he is already feeling better.... Now what we wanted you to know was his diet which is best for him... In short can you please make a diet plan for him?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 58 minutes later
Hi,,
The diet mainly must be low residue( low fibre)
Semisolid, frequent small feeds ,non spicy and non fatty as the inflamed intestines take time to heal.

Morning 8 am- 2-3 slices of bread with major soaked in milk with sugar ad 1 cup of milk. Or it can be hoe made khichri( non oily and no ghee) and milk 1 cup.

By 11 am- 2 biscuits and one cup of XXXXXXX juice or orange juice.

1 noon rice with vegetables and dual,curds,or roti with dhaland curds.

4 pm and 2-3 biscuits. And 1 cup milk or juice.

6 pm. One banana or cut apple

8 pm dinner with again rice and veg,curds dual out roti.

10 pm one cup milk.

This bland diet will be for the first 2-3 weeks or so and then gradually by one month you can increase.
Give water in plenty.
Avoid laxatives.
Good luck
Dr Uma