Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Child suffers from heat rash, no cream helps. Suggest?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
my 4 year granddaughter suffers from heat rash in deming new mexico. none of the anti itch creams work
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Avoid exposure to hot weather.Apply calamine

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Heat rash is common in children when they get exposed to hot weather.

If she is having heat rash at present I suggest you to do the following things:

1.Removing the child from the triggering hot environment.

2.Dress the child in less and loose fitting clothes.

3.Moving the child and asking her to play inside a cooler, air-conditioned

4. You can apply a plain calamine containing lotion externally over the rash thrice
daily for soothing effect on the skin.

5.Cool water compresses can be applied over the rash.

6.If the itching is significant, an oral antihistamine like hydroxyzine or cetirizine
can be give in prescribed dose for 3 to 5 days.

Coming to preventive aspects I suggest:

1.Dressing the child in appropriate clothes which are suitable for the weather like
loose fitting clothing.

2.Avoiding playing and going into hot and humid environment.

3.Avoiding the application of occlusive ointments such as moisturizers, and oil
based products.

4.Encourage the child to drink plenty of water in hot environment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor