Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Child suffering with mild cerebral atrophy. Is there any good treatment for this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 479 Questions
hi dr
My name is XXXXXXXmy son 9 month old suffering with mild cerebral atrophy is there any good treatment for this,
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 15 minutes later
Your 9 month old child images of brain revealed mild cerebral atrophy ( I meant it is the MRI brain which gives details than CT scan brain)

Treatment depends on detail history including birth history , any history of neonatal jaundice or seizure and also depends on development milestones of the child and detailed neurological assessment is needed including the head circumference of child as for chronological age. Hence should consult neurologist for it.

Battery of tests to be done include MRI brain (if not done), EEG and thyroid profile

Treatment option includes piracetam supplements, vitamin syrups and antiepileptics (if EEG is abnormal) and rehabilitation

If the child has normal development milestones for age then need not worry.He require regular neurological assessment once every 2 months

Hope this will help you


DR Sandhya Manorenj
Hi Tech city hyderabad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor