Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Child suffering from tonsillitis. Surgery needed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2543 Questions
Sir !
My 5yrs. old daughter is suffering from Tonsillitis since last year. We take utmost care but still she can not sleep in winter nights well because of large sizes. Can u please suggest us for surgery, if yes where? Next month we are planning to go to CMC Vellore.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. In a 5 year old child, adenoid hypertrophy is a leading cause of nasal obstruction and sleep disturbance in addition to very large tonsils.

2. Hence you should get a Lateral X-ray of the Skull for Adenoids done. You may share the X-ray here for further management options.

3. Adenoids are located behind the nose and above the plate. The tissue hypertrophies between the ages of 3 and 7 years. It usually regresses after the age of 8 years and is not detectable in most children by the age of 12 to 15 years.

4. Chronic tonsillitis is operated of there are more than 5 to 6 attacks over 2 to 3 years. Besides the size of the tonsils, the presence of anterior pillar congestion and palpable non-tender JD (Jugulo Digastric) Lymph Nodes are the important criteria for deciding on the need for an operation. Does she have all these signs and symptoms?

5. In Bokaro, you may approach Dr. XXXXXXX Moonka who is the Joint Director - Medical Health Services at the SAIL Bokaro Steel Plant General Hospital. CMC Vellore is also a good institute.

6. There is a choice of different methods for the operation. However you may leave this technical decision to your doctor.

7. A trial of medication may be given before the final decision to operate is taken.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor