Child suffering from stomach ache and back pain. How to get relief?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: child complains of stomach and back pain several hours after a fall on an inflatable slide
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Given your child's complaints, at the outset I Hope all vitals of your child are normal. This means that his blood pressure, pulse rate and temperature are normal. Please confirm this by seeing a physician.
The most common abdominal injury, which occur after fall and can present after several hours is a splenic injury. But abdominal pain could also be due to minor trauma to abdominal wall and the pain in back could be due to muscle pull, minor abrasions.
A splenic injury needs urgent physician consultation and accordingly your child may need ultra sound abdomen to rule out splenic injury and injury to other abdominal organs. So at this stage, it would be best if you take him to the ER and get a basic ultrasound done so that we can be sure that we are not missing anything major.
Minor injuries to back and abdomen may need only analgesic anti inflammatory drugs( pain killer).
Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if I can address any other concern.
I wish best of luck to your child
Dr Sadiq.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli