Child suffering from runny nose and ear pain. Giving calpol. Suggest effective medication

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question:
hi Dr my three year old is quite restless. holding his right ear. has been suffering from running nose a week ago. is it an ear infection. wht in house relief can I provide before taking him to his pediatrician.

have given him a teaspoon of calpol twice at 4 hour intervals.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome to HCM!

Ear pain after cold is due to middle ear infection and increase tension in the ear.
You have to keep his nose passage free by using nose drops like otrivin pediatric 1-2 drops every 6 hrs.
If you have antihistamine syrup like cetrizine you can give 1 tsp at bed time and 1 tsp in the morning.
Calpol syrup is good and if calpol that you have is 125 mgs per 5 ml ,you can give him 7.5 ml every 4 hrs.
The child may need antibiotics which your doctor will prescribe after examination.
If the pain is too much and if you have a syrup called Ibugesic plus ,you can give 1 tsp after some food ( not on empty stomach).

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma