Owl Image

Child suffering from runny nose and cough. Will it be safe to give recofast?

Owl Image
Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Question
My daughter is suffering from running nose and Upper tract infection having bad cough ? she vomits whatever she is eating ? Should I give Recofast ? i have never used ? is it effective
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Good evening,

Thanks for writing to us. I went through your query in detail.

Recofast is okay for cold, but for cough, it is not effective. You have to give cough formulations containing ambroxol and terbutaline or salbutamol. However, for a child of 1 year it is better to show her to a pediatrician for deciding the diagnosis and the treatment.

Meanwhile, look for difficulty in breathing in the form of hurried breathing and chest retractions, which suggests lower respiratory tract infections.

Kindly review. Hope I have cleared your query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child suffering from runny nose and cough. Will it be safe to give recofast? 9 days later
Could you please suggest the medicine which is effective for Cough and Running nose are available i India for 1 yr old baby

Thanks again for writing back.

For a 1 yr old baby cough formula like Kofarest-pediatric drops can be used. You may use syrup allerid for running nose. These are prescription medications and you will need to visit a doctor/pediatrician to prescribe the exact dose and frequency required for your baby.

For any other queries, feel free to ask us...