Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Child suffering from mumps. I need to know the medication.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
Hi doctor . I have a 18 month old child who I presume is suffering from mums I need to know the systems and medication
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 57 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I feel you meant to say mumps. mumps is a disease caused by a virus, spreads through saliva and breath in children and adults. If had once, may not recur in lifetime again.

Usually the cheeks (the parotid glands behind cheeks and below ear) get swollen and painful with high fever. In local language its called galgund.

As it is a viral fever, its likely to settle on its own in 2 weeks unless complicated.

There are no specific medicines unless complicated . The therapy is primarily symptomatic. Maximum danger may be in first 10 days when its likely to spread and may cause acute pneumonia, kidney or gonad problems. Mumps virus is known to affect testes and ovaries.

Take care of your baby's hydration with lot o fluids. Syp. Crocin can be given in case of high fever.

Consult your Pediatrician in case general condition is worsening.

I hope, I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor