Owl Image

Child suffering from fever and cold. On paracetamol. Any suggestion?

Pediatrician
Question
My son is 8 years old, yesterday he was running fevers and being sick and had a slight cough, today he is still running fevers and coughing and got no voice but the sickness has stopped. what shall i do? i keep giving him paracetamol for the fevers and plenty of water.
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 2 hours later

I have gone through your query and also the past medical history.

For fever, paracetamol syrup will be enough. But as per the description, you have mentioned that the child is having cough and the voice is down. I feel the child is having sore throat and requires a specialist to examine his throat. If required, a throat swab will be essential before starting any antibiotics. Meanwhile, watch for rashes, watch for continuous drooling of saliva which suggests that the throat infection is severe, maintain his hydration, and maintain his nutrition.

An ENT specialist or a paediatrician should examine your child for better results.

Thank you.

Kindly follow up. Hope I have cleared your doubts.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child suffering from fever and cold. On paracetamol. Any suggestion? 8 hours later
Thank you, he does have a rash under and above his eyes which came up after being sick, is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 16 hours later
Good evening,

Thanks for the follow up and sorry for the delayed response as I was away from any kind of net connection.

Okay. Now if the fever has subsided, the child is active and taking feeds well and if he has started to regain the voice, then do not worry about the rashes. I feel it is only a viral fever with a rash which had even affected his throat. Kindly self examine his throat with a bright torch and look for rashes. If yes or if you have found any pus collected pockets, then your child will require medical attention.

If the rashes and the fever is subsiding and if the child is active and feeding well, then do not worry.

Once again, I am stressing, visual examination by a doctor will be better and will yield better results and clear most of your doubts.

Thank you.

Hope I have cleared your doubts, kindly follow up if necessary.